Welcome to the Church of Ascension, the Anglican Church in Hilton. People have been worshipping as “The English Congregation” in Hilton since 1904. A congregation started to worship in this church in 1907 when the faithfulness and foresight of Anglicans living in the village of Hilton Road led them to erect the historic church building. Built of Natal red brick, it was designed by the practice of Sir Herbert Baker, who is famous for the Union Buildings in Pretoria and Rhodes University in Grahamstown.
At the time, it was the only church, built on a hill, a beacon visible for many miles around. Current generations of worshippers strive to emulate the faith and witness of their forebears in being a beacon of hope and a witness to the kingdom of God among us.
Recent Rectors included Vernon Lund in the 1970s and early 1980s, Ian Cowley into the mid-1990s (Ian subsequently moved to the Diocese of Salisbury in the United Kingdom), and Stuart Mennigke from then until 2002 (Stuart is currently in a parish in rural Alberta Province, Canada). He was followed by Nic Denny-Dimitriou, who began ministry at Church of the Ascension in June 2002. He remained for 11 and a half years until December 2013. Nic and his family moved from Hilton to Cyprus, where he now serves as the Chaplain of Paphos in the Anglican Diocese of Cyprus and the Gulf. The current rector of the parish is Paul Mosdell, who assumed this position in January 2014. He also serves as the Archdeacon of the uMgeni Region of the Diocese of Natal.